‘I'm not sure what Donald Trump's beef is with me’

images-267

‘I'm not sure what Donald Trump's beef is with me’

Sadiq Khan did not expect, or hope, to mark his first anniversary as mayor of London like this. It has been a shattering couple of months for the city: the terror attacks at Westminster Bridge, London Bridge and Finsbury Park mosque, followed by the fire at Grenfell Tower. “It’s been an awful time,” he says. “The worst weeks of my life, professionally, and I’ve had pretty tough times as a lawyer and an MP.”

He admits that, on occasion, he has struggled to know what to say by way of comfort, hope or explanation. “I thought long and hard before making a statement after the London Bridge terror attack. In the end, I said, ‘Not in my name’, because I don’t want anybody who is Muslim to think that somehow you are responsible, that you have to apologise for this. The response I received from fellow Muslims confirmed to me that my instinct was right.”
                                                                                                            Read More...

Comments

Popular Posts